Destination - Chicago, Illinois
Get Your Kicks on Route 66
- Take a trip to the past on the Great American Road, where "anything goes."
- Indulge your taste for nostalgia as well as your tastebuds at old Route 66 shops and eateries.
- See some of the wacky but beloved roadside art and architecture that the "Mother Road" is famous for.
Life on the River, Forests and Fields
- Relax in serene gardens and native wildernesses.
- Stroll through canyons and beneath bluffs carved by ice and water.
- Hike trails through prairies teeming with birds, butterflies and wildflowers (in season).
- See a herd of bison (buffalo).
- Visit the birthplace and schoolhouse of young Ronald Reagan, who became our country's 40th President.
- Learn of the triumphs and tragedies of Abraham Lincoln, our country's 16th President, at sites throughout the "Land of Lincoln."
Highways on Land and Water
- See the United States' first paved transcontinental highway.
- Learn about the great railroads which brought goods and people to settle Illinois and beyond.
- Get swept up in river history, from Native Americans in their canoes to modern man in river barges.
Illinois River Road - Illinois
Length: 291.0 miles / 468.3 km
Time to Allow: Seven hours to drive the entire byway, two days per loop for each of seven nature activity loops
Chicago O'Hare International Airport, Illinois
Distance from Byway: 85.1 miles / 136.2 km,
Travel Time: 1 hour 32 minutes