North Shore Scenic Drive
Driving the Byway
The North Shore Scenic Drive is comprised of the northern 150 miles of Minnesota Trunk Highway 61, from Duluth to Two Harbors all the way to Grand Portage near the U.S./Canadian Border.
- From Canal Park in Duluth follow Canal Park Drive over Interstate 35 to Superior Street.
- Take a right on Superior Street.
- Follow this road through a portion historic Downtown Duluth past the refurbished Fitger's Brewery Complex, with its many fine shops and restaurants.
- To continue along the byway, take a right onto London Road from Superior. (This intersection is at 10th Avenue East and Superior Street.)
- Follow London Road for the next 5.4 miles, driving past Leif Erikson Park, which contains the Rose Garden.
The Way to Two Harbors
- To continue on the route, follow the signs for the North Shore Scenic Drive. (The route proceeds along the lake, passing through small settlements and stunning lake vistas. There are six main rivers that cross under the byway during this 19-mile segment to Two Harbors.)
- Connect with the byway loop in downtown Two Harbors by turning right onto Highway 61 just west of town.
- Follow Highway 61 to 6th Street (Waterfront Drive), where you take a right and pick up the byway once again.
- Follow 6th Street to South Avenue, where you take a left. (Prior to taking a left, be sure to stop at the 3M Museum.)
- As you drive down South Avenue, notice the massive ore docks that extend from the waterfront.
- Continue on the route by taking a left onto First Street (Park Road) and follow it to Highway 61. (First Street takes you past hiking trails along the shoreline.)
- Take a right on Highway 61.
- Continue on that route as it takes you along the remainder of the North Shore Scenic Drive All-American Road, which ends approximately 122 miles later at the Canadian border.
Other Road Names
This list of road names make up or are part of the byway and may prove helpful for finding and navigating the byway
- Lake Superior Circle Tour
- Trunk Highway 61 (TH 61)