Historic National Road - Pennsylvania
Old Petersburg Toll House (PA)
The Petersburg Toll House, now located in Addison, is the only hand-cut, native-stone toll house in Pennsylvania and accurately reflects the structure as it existed in 1835, when toll collection began. The interior, with its original flooring and period furnishings, gives a sense of what domestic life was like for the toll collector and his family. On the exterior is a hand-made sign which lists the fees for traveling the Road in 1835.
A record remains of tolls collected in 1841. Toll collector William Condon, who lived in the house with his family, reported an income of $1,758.87 for that year. His salary was $200.00 plus free living quarters.